I have yet to witness a 540 degree photobooth. This time round the HTC One is gonna prove to us that technology has surpassed our imagination. Check out this cool video of the ‘Ultimate Smartphone Photobooth’ by HTC One. In order to capture the powerful technology of the phone, a platform stage, circular in fashion was set up with a spiral train of HTC phones. This allowed the phones to snap at all angles. People were asked to go into the booth and do things that they want. These include stunts like breakdancing, skateboard, high jumping and even one dude breathing fire! The booth was able to capture amazing angles. It allowed the HTC One’s super fast Snapdragon to showcase it’s true capability. Check out all the fun thats happening right there now.
Adage published an article about how HTC intends to market its up and coming phone – the HTC First. With an interesting tagline tied to campaign launch; “Everything Your Phone Isn’t”. I personally love how bold this declaration is. It for once targets a segment of audience who would love to be different and experimental. Imagine the hardcore die hard fans of Apple iPhones trying to make the switch. These days, having an iPhone is actually ‘safe’ rather than ‘different’. The article also highlights how HTC plan to market the phone and in a phrase by phrase manner, it is actually very concise and HTC’s VP-Marketing Ms Erin McGee is poised on making this possible.
She mentioned an addenda of efficacious marketing strategies that aroused my interest. Here are some of the essential ones that I would like to share:
Define Target Audience
1. She showed that HTC’s preferred Target Audience are the moniker for tech-savvy, early-adopting millennials.
2. Teaming up with hi-end audio equipment manufacturer Beats as well as concert production company, Live Nation. This provides the HTC phones with extremely powerful sound system that renders the S4s’ inferior.
3. HTC One’s ads will now be taken TTL (Through the Line) from print seamlessly to digital.
Strategic Media Planning
4. Ms. McGee has also did her homework on the behaviours and preferences of her desired target audience. She added that they are movie-goers. With that, she would target her ads at theaters for a great impact. A great strategy she had used that I felt would be extremely effective is her strategic placement of ads to advertise during “irreverent, edgy TV programming” such as Adult Swim, a comedy block under Turner’s Cartoon Network.
5. Ms. McGee has also tie in celebrity like rapper Pharrell in New York City and indie rock band Grouplove in Chicago.
I think these are pretty much well thought of marketing approaches. I believe one of the greater effects that should also complement this marketing campaign would be the use of Social Media marketing. Having more influencers and raising profiles with tech blogs will definitely go a further mile.